Hi my name is Vanessa and I create whimsical accessories, which capture the beauty and magic of nature, that I sell on Etsy and in a small boutique/gallery space. I like to have my head in the clouds just about as much as I like taking a slow moment to breathe and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us all every day.
Currently I am working on building my Summer collection of headpieces. Balancing my creative work with my day job, and finding a flow that works best for me.
The drive to create has always been a strong force in my life. As soon as I could hold a pencil I was drawing, coloring, painting. My creativity has found many outlets over the years, such as illustration, sewing, and most recently accessory design and creation. Nature's abundant beauty and the magical people in my life are such an inspiration to me. However, I do also love fairytales and realms of fantasy.
My next lookbook will focus on the vivid colors of Summer. Ocean breeze, warm sand, and saltwater hair will play a big role as will smiling girls and mermaid-like playfulness.
My work schedule can be a bit hectic at times. Currently juggling working at my day job, running my Etsy shop and webstore/blog in addition to freelance costume design. I am always working on ways to become more organized and effective, so things flow more easily every day. It also helps that I love what I do!
I like to spend my days creating. I love to get up early in the morning, get outside (I am fortunate to have a beautiful garden) and fuel myself with a big, healthy breakfast. From there I could go all day creating and designing or have just as much fun shopping for fabrics and materials. One of my favorite tasks is purchasing flowers for my crowns. I love thinking up ways to combine colors and flower types.
On days when I want to relax I love to read with a cup of tea and stay in snuggly clothing all day.
One of my fondest memories is strolling through the park in Japan during sakura season and taking some time to just sit underneath the trees and let the blossoms spill over me. A magical experience.
5 Things that Heal me
• Breath ~ Taking the time to stop and breathe deeply always puts my mind at ease and clears away discomfort
• Tea ~ My favorite tea is ginger lemon. It gives me a boost of energy!
• Long walks or hikes in nature ~ Puts my mind at ease and exercises my body at the same time. I always feel renewed after a lovely walk.
• Flowers ~ Their colors, scents, how they gently sway in the breeze. I always feel a deep gratitude for life when I look at or smell flowers.
• Self Nurturing ~ Being kind to and treating oneself to little luxuries, whether that be a bubble bath, enjoying a piece of dark chocolate or wearing a daisy in your hair, I believe it is so important to treasure ourselves.
If I could be any flower I would be a sakura blossom. Their sweetness and soft colors have always captivated me. I love that they look like fluttering butterflies as they drift off of tree branches and they are so precious because they only bloom for a short time once every year.
There are so many things in this world that I find beautiful, and I am constantly surprised by where and how they show up. I have had several peculiar instances where I stumble upon a praying mantis, a hawk, a hummingbird or butterfly in a very unlikely place. I love these moments because they are such strong messages that beauty can be found everywhere and that how much of it we see depends upon how aware we are.
I live in the busy city of Los Angeles and I recommend these places ~
• Huntington Gardens and Library [http://www.huntington.org/]
• 'Lette Macarons [http://www.lettemacarons.com/]
• Point Dume in Malibu
• Little Tokyo
• Aroma Coffee and Tea Company [http://www.aromacoffeeandtea.com/]
Films/Musicians that inspire me
• Joanna Newsom
• Bat for Lashes
• Any Miyazaki film. I especially like "Howl's Moving Castle" and "The Cat Returns"
• Fantasy films like "The Lord of the Rings" and "Stardust"
In 5 years I want to have a lovely home in a beautiful part of the world with lots of natural light and an in-home studio where I spend my days creating accessories and perhaps some simple clothing items for sale. I would love to have a garden of flowers and vegetables and a hammock for afternoon naps.
Dream vision board, what would your ideal day consist of?
One piece of advice ~ Happy thoughts really do make you fly. They give your life wings, no fairy dust needed. So think about as many of them as you can, as often as you can.